Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Self-Comparison and Self-Compassion

I am reading The 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women by Gail McMeeken.  It is a fast read.  Her tone and rhythm are well balanced and are particularly easy to follow.  I am learning about confronting the inner critical voice and carving out time to follow my heart or listen to it.  That rest is required, sitting and daydreaming are necessary for creative ideas to occur. 

But the demon I must confront is my own critical self-assessment of myself.  It is a cognitive error, a slippery trap that you don’t even know your falling until you find yourself in the pit, trapped again.  How is it that I get this side of myself, this critical, unhealthy voice out?  How did I catch it? Is it a natural product of our current culture? Catching a “negative self-perception” virus?  Is it inflicted upon us by media and Hollywood?  

Making us feel we must measure up?  But haven’t we felt that way for a long time?  Even before the days of TMZ and Us Weekly magazine, women were comparing themselves, unfavorably, to the perception of what was beautiful.  It doesn’t mean it should continue.  We must find a way to counteract that critical inner voice, the one that tells you that we’re not good enough, won’t succeed, or we’re not the right size, color or age. 
This is just another shade of being mean to yourself.  Before I discussed how mindreading and assuming the worst is really only a negative farce intended to get you to be mean to you.  Now I am asserting that another way is by comparing ourselves to others, unfavorably.  It robs you of your joy.

Joy is found when you are happy with who you are, where you are, and how you are.  These situations would naturally occur when given half a chance but we usually snub them out early.  Mindreading and assuming the worst, coupled with comparing yourself will rip the joy right out the moment. 

One night I was getting dressed in my sweatpants and matching sweatshirt, in preparation for bedtime.  I felt snuggly and life just felt nice at that moment.  I glanced in the mirror and immediately switched to thinking that my gut looked more inflated than I imagined it to be and was I just having a perception problem? Or, what if all along people see me and think I’m fat?  I immediately didn’t give myself or the perception the benefit of the doubt.  And what I mean by that is that I didn’t test the thoughts against reality.  I was self-centered and self-abusive at the same time.  And it happened in a flash.  Life…it happens in flashes.  One quick flash to another.  Sometimes the flashes seem to last forever and other times it seems like they didn’t stay long enough. But they are flashes all the same.  Sparklers in the universe.  ‘

So again, I’m confronted with however are we to become able to short circuit this self-inflicted painful cycle?  If it really happens that fast, do we have any control over it?  The first thing to do is realize that the reason it is kneejerk or feels like a reflex is because it is a habit.  Somehow, someway you and I picked up critical thoughts about ourself and then we proceeded to repeat them over and over to ourselves.  So the first thing is to make it into a positive habit.  Yes, this takes mental effort, practice and exercise.  You’ll have to consciously re-route yourself when you catch yourself having a negative thought about yourself.  You won’t be able to catch all of the negative thoughts so don’t even try.  But know this: You don’t have to for this to work.  All that has to happen is that you consciously re-route the negative thought to its positive opposite and do so on a regular enough basis for it to take hold and start carving one of those beautiful neural pathways. 


The second thing is, really, the first and that is mindfulness.  When we practice mindfulness and stay in the moment but distance ourselves or detach from our death-grip hold on our thoughts we can view them from a broader stance.  You can view your possible kneejerk reaction to something, that is, the negative thought and staying mindful, simply don’t take hold of it.  If you have to do anything, just say to yourself, “Hmmm….I wonder if my perceptions are off today.  Maybe I’m blowing things out of proportion.”  Know that the negative thought is a lie.  It almost always is a complete lie.  David Burns, in his best-selling book, Feeling Good, says, “Our research has documented that the negative thoughts which cause your emotional turmoil nearly always contain gross distortions.” (3) A cognitive error.  So you can catch that negative thought in a loose mental net and say, “This is quite likely to be false and I am practicing some sort of error.  I know this because it is proven to be true.” 

Be nicer to yourself.  I’ll be nicer to me too.  It sounds mushy and new age-y but what if it works? And, what else do you got to lose?

No comments:

Post a Comment