Saturday, August 30, 2014

Bookworm

Some don't understand why I would hang on to a book long after I've read it.  I'm a voracious reader always, but especially so when faced with a challenge in life. I set about finding a corresponding manual to whatever I'm going through.  My family of origin are born book lovers.  Suffice it to say, I was raised to love books.  Havens for the downtrodden, hope for the masses.  Books are just plain awesome.
The thing is: When I go about finding this special book that will either inform, advise, make me laugh out loud or comfort me I am always surprised.  It isn't in the typical spot.
You might go instantly to the inspiration section, desperate to get someone's advice.  Someone who's been wherever you're at.   Or the memoirs.  Perhaps you simply just want to find something, anything.  Help.
Here is my little tip for you: Just get something.  It doesn't matter which one really, because once you open up to wanting to learn the info, it will find you.  Maybe not always.
But enough.
Say you're female (just in case you're not) and you're pregnant.  And, well, you're also a bit freaked out.  Especially about how big you're going to get and all the strange shit that goes down and affects your body (your body is now "our" body!).  Take a deep breath.
Go get yourself that pregnancy encyclopedia (that, more often than not, will freak you out worse)...but give in and indulge your monkey mind...that crazy lizard brain part of you that must prepare, prepare, plan, sort and generally chatter away at you.  Satisfy that urge and just get it out of the way.  Read a few pages.
But then remain open.  Because you're going to find that one thing you need to hear or read in the craziest of places.  I wouldn't say it's an open-the-book-close-your-eyes-and-point-at-some-random-section-type of divination.  I'm just saying.  It happens on its own accord.
Maybe an example might help.  I recently went all frontal-lobe on finding info about solitude and retreats.  I think, "Well, I've got my info and I'm ready to do this.  I got this."  I've researched retreat centers, practices and even did a written exercise detailing my perfect retreat experience.  But just for fun, I decided to pick up a copy of Annie Dilliard's Pilgrim at Tinker Creek.
This book is amazing.  Just reading it feels like going on a retreat. Which is good, because the actual likelihood of a retreat anytime soon is pretty nil.  (See Profile: mother of five)
It isn't so much the book, I'm saying here, as it is the open mind that you have while approaching your question.  Or desire for assistance, validation, or recognition of what you're currently experiencing.
Because the message you need will find you.  In maybe an unlikely, odd way and place.
So those books on my shelf?  The ones I've actually read?  They contained a message at one time that helped me. The stories, poetry, inspiration that served me so well have more than earned their keep.  And should I ever want one of them again (yes, I've learned, but sometimes I forget) they are right there.  It's a comfort thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment