Thursday, August 21, 2014

Messy Houses

Messy Houses
Today I might feel guilty and overwhelmed by the messy house.  I may want to give up and throw my hands in the air.  I once saw a sign that read, “A clean house is a sign of no internet connection,” but I’d ventured to say it is also a sign of no heartfelt connection.

Let’s be real-relationships are messy.  Having family and friends over as well as raising kids both contribute to a messy home.  But who would want to live in a sterile world—one where there is no connection at all?  Yes, living requires tidying.  But that doesn’t mean you should feel ashamed of your home each time it becomes unruly and needs tidying up.

Instead of exclaiming, “Wow, what a mess,” try remembering how it got that way.  Were your children playing and learning?  Did you have a memorable event with friends or family?  Remembering the real reasons behind the chaos makes you a lot less stressed out and doesn’t include any guilt associations.

Today I acknowledge that messy houses usually equal a lot of living being done.  I replace any feelings of guilt with waves of gratitude for the good times had.

No comments:

Post a Comment