Thursday, August 21, 2014

Friendship

We set a precedent early on in our friendship. 

One day in particular (circa late 1996-early 1997) I was waxing on about my internal debate over whether to buy, of all things, a Barbie doll or Sesame Street collectible gift basket.  Well, they both had their charm and I could really only afford one.  I needed a treat.  I outgrew this need for treats, but not until I hit my mid-30s and this was way back when I was about 19. 

Not coming up with a clear winner with my own debating, I turned to my coworker-turned-friend, Julie (I'd say that even though we had best friends outside of work, we were each other's best friends at work.  Until our individual friends started working there.  Then we were one happy group).

After hearing my whinings, she patiently said, “If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad!” quoting Sheryl Crow. 

And it stuck with me.  I don't remember what I ended up buying, if I bought anything at all.  But I remember her saying that to me and virtually removing all guilt associated with wanting to treat myself in the first place.  Wow...that's a friend! 

It was truth and I needed it spoken to me to understand it.


Nearly 20 years later, as she graduates college and faces a new future in an unconventional relationship and as she moves forward towards her dreams and her loves (human, material, whatever) I'll be here to let her know that if it makes her happy, it can't be that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment