Wednesday, August 20, 2014

America's DNA

-My DNA results. I wanted a chunk of history. I wanted a place I could (mostly) call my
own. I didn’t want to believe I was 1/10th this and 3/8th of that. I wanted something I
could grasp onto and identify with. I envied all my friends who were considered
minorities. They had a culture, a history. I had all of Europe. So I got my DNA done and
it was, in fact, a dissection of Europe (and a wee bit of North Africa and West Asia,
too!). I can only say, when asked what my heritage is that I was mostly German. By
mostly I mean the biggest chunk is German. If you consider 36% a big chunk. From
there it goes down to 19% of this and 8% of that and so on.
People say all the time that they want to take a test like mine. Which is great. I always
say they should. A lot of them come back with just as many pieces in their pie as me. I
think on it and I see that, here we are, in America a lot of us can identify with having a
relative immigrate in. Whether in 1885 or 1985. So I look at my DNA and see how many
risk-takers I have in my family tree….just as many as you do, probably. So it turns out,
I’m 100% an explorer, a dreamer, an adventurer, and possibly a gambler. I’m 100%
American.

No comments:

Post a Comment